Even though it’s not fall, I still love eating and baking with apples! These apple hand pies are a simpler version of the classic apple pie. There is the buttery flakey crust and juicy apple filling, but they are easier to eat by hand. You can dip these hand pies into delicious fully whipped cream or just eat them by themselves.
This pie crust is the best crust you’ll ever eat. It melts in your mouth like ice on a hot day. The hand pies are filled with just the right amount of filling, not to much and not to little.
If you love green apples as much as I do (I literally eat one every day without fail), then you will love these apple cinnamon hand pies. Honey crisp apples are also mixed into the filling to balance out the tartness. So if you are sitting around with nothing better to do or if you need a quick break from work, then its time to get off your butt and bake these hand pies! They will make your day a thousand times better!
For the pie crust:
- 2 Cup (300g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2Tbs sugar
- 2 tsp vinegar
- 2 sticks cold butter, cubed
- 3-5Tbs ice water
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbs butter, diced
For the apple filing:
- 1 granny smith apple, chopped
- 1 honey crisp apple, chopped
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbs cornstarch
- Whipped cream to serve, if desired
To make the pie crust:
- In a food processor, pour in the flour, salt, sugar, and vinegar. Pulse a few times. Add in the 2 sticks of cubed butter, and process until crumbs form. With the food processor running, slowly pour in ice water until a pie dough forms (make sure not to add to much water.)
- Take the dough out of the processor and form into two disks on two separate pieces of plastic wrap. Wrap up and place in the fridge for 1 hour.
To make the hand pies:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit or 190 degrees Celsius. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl mix together all of the apple pie filling ingredients. Set aside. Take out the pie dough from the fridge. Roll out the dough into a 1/8 inch thick square.
- With a pizza cutter cut out 12 3×4 inch rectangles. Place up to six rectangles of pie dough onto the prepared sheet pan. Place about 2 Tbs of apple filling onto each rectangle and spread out evenly, leaving about a 1/4 inch of pie dough free of apple filling from the edge. Take another piece of the pie dough and lay on top of the filling.
- With a fork press down around the edges of the hand pies to make a seal. In a small bowl whisk the egg with a fork. With a pastry brush, brush the top of the hand pies with the egg wash. Make sure to cover the whole top.
- With a knife cut four small slashes on the top pie crust. Take 3 pieces of the diced butter and place on top of each pie crust. Bake the hand pies for 20-24 minutes. Enjoy warm!
If you’ve made this recipe tag https://www.instagram.com/baking_alaine/ on Instagram and use the hashtag #baking_alaine.