Do you like Chocolate and Strawberries? Because if you do I have a feeling you will love this combination of a chocolate cupcake with strawberry buttercream. These cupcakes make for a irresistible spring dessert!
Strawberries are coming into season, and what a better way to use them then to make cupcakes! Here is a simple yet delicious recipe for delectable chocolate cupcakes. I mix coffee into this cupcake batter. If you are worried that your cupcakes might taste like coffee, don’t be. The coffee in the batter only brings out more of the chocolate flavor and you will not taste the coffee at all.
Fluffy pink buttercream strawberry frosting compliments these chocolate cupcakes. I wanted to make this frosting with more natural ingredients so I colored the buttercream with blended strawberries instead of food dye. Not only do the strawberries add beautiful color to the buttercream, they add great taste as well!
Down below you will see the recipe for both the cupcakes and buttercream. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!
For the cupcakes:
- 1 cup (150g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (50g) cacao powder
- 1 cup (225g) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup (52ml) vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup 120ml) whole milk
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup (120ml) freshly brewed coffee, cooled
For the Frosting:
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter, softened
- 4-5 cups (450-560g) powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 5-6 large strawberries to whip into frosting
- extra strawberries for topping cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit or 190 Celsius. Line a 12-count muffin pan with cupcake liners and set aside. In a small bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, cacao powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, milk, eggs, and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients into the wet and mix until just combined. Slowly whisk in the coffee.
- Fill the muffins liners about 2/3 of the way full with batter. Bake in the oven for 15-18 minutes. Cool completely on a wire wrack.
- To make the frosting process the strawberries in a food processor until smooth. Set aside. In a large bowl, with a mixer whip the butter until light in color. Add in the powdered sugar one cup at a time. When combined, whip in the whipping cream.
- Measure out 1/4 to 1/3 cup of the blended strawberries (depending on how pink you want your frosting to be) and whip into the frosting until fully combined 5-10 minutes. Transfer the frosting to a piping bag and pipe onto the cupcakes with desired piping tip. Top with a strawberry or strawberry half. Enjoy!
If you’ve made this recipe tag https://www.instagram.com/baking_alaine/ on Instagram and use the hashtag #baking_alaine.